The Fourth of July has always been one of our favorite holidays. We camp out for hours to get a good view at the parade, the kids love seeing the armory roll thru, seeing all the fire engines and first responders, the big family cookout, and it wouldn’t be America’s birthday without the fireworks! This year’s Fourth of July celebration though will be a bit more low key due to the pandemic, but that will not dampen our American Spirit!
We decided to create some goodie bags for the kids in our neighborhood and nephews and nieces. Of course we had to add our own magical touch. This easy DIY only took a few of minutes to make and with only a handful of materials. My kids loved playing with them! You could easily make this a stem project, by experimenting with different ribbon weights to see which firework goes the highest, race them, etc. There’s so much fun involved!
So if you’re missing the fireworks this year, make your own (kid-safe version) and have a blast! Happy Independence Day!!!
- Straws, that bend
- Smoothie straws cut to roughly 2”
- Fireworks printable (optional)
- Curling ribbon (optional)
1. Print the FREE fireworks printable (here) and carefully cut out individual firework groups.
2. Cut the smoothie straws into pieces about 2” long and tape off one side. This will ensure no air can escape.
3. Using more tape attach your firework cutout to the smoothie straw. Tape curling ribbon to back of cutout for extra flare.
4. Place your smoothie straw on top of the bendy straw and blow!
Hope you love this DIY and have a wonderful Fourth of July! And don’t forget to tag @amagicalkingdomcalledhome when you make one, I can’t wait to see it!