Inspired by the classic dish at Epcot’s Rose and Crown, this easy and delicious recipe will transport your taste buds to the United Kingdom. We first made this meal a year or so ago for our 101 Dalmatian Movie Night. I’ve made it countless times since then and tweaked the original recipe a bit. Hope you enjoy this taste of the world showcase as much as we do. Enjoy!
Bangers and Mash
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 8 sausages of choice, bratwurst recommended
- 1 medium onion, halved and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cups beef broth
- 1 cup stout beer (I used Guinness)
- 1 cup beef broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add sausages and cook, turning, until browned as much as possible all over and cooked through.
- Remove sausages onto a plate and cover with aluminum to stay warm. Turn heat down to medium.
- Add the onions and a pinch of salt, add a pat of butter if more oil in needed to coat onions evenly. Cook until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic. Cook for one minute.
- Stir in the flour and mix through, cook for 2 minutes. Slowly pour in the beer, mix until combined. Once the beer has been absorbed by the flour, stir while pouring in the beef broth. Bring the gravy up to a bubble and simmer until thickened about 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve sausages with plenty of gravy, with mashed potatoes and peas on the side.
Notes: Sausages – You can use any sausages you want, classic Bangers and Mash is made with thick pork sausages.
Check out this English Trifle Recipe to complete your meal.